It may well be a trap, but not for this reason.
The “Council of Europe” is a body of 47 countries, founded before the European Economic Community (forerunner of the EU) project began, and it oversees the European Court of Human Rights. I think that whoever wrote this must have meant the “European Council” which is the Council of Ministers of the EU member states.
Moreover if you read subsection 3 of article 50, linked below, and the note, it is pretty obvious that once the notice to leave is delivered, as happened today, then two years later, either an agreement with the other 27 countries has been reached – and the terms of any such agreement can be vetoed by the European Council – OR the two-year period can be extended by agreement of all concerned, OR, if no such agreement has been reached, the withdrawing State is out anyway. This is quite clear from the text linked below.
So let us stop barking up the wrong tree. Two years from today, Britain will be OUT of the EU, one way or another. Unless of course our own government/Parliament decides to prolong the negotiating period. Or unless our own government/Parliament decides to withdraw the notice to leave. The EU by itself cannot stop us.
The reason why article 50 may be a trap is that during those two years, we remain inside and subject to all the EU rules. And they can make new rules which we cannot veto but must obey. So they retain their enormous powers over us for this period. If they wanted to play rough, they could strip us of all our assets so in the end we would be out, but naked and impoverished. Or they might so influence our political processes that we would have a new government that would withdraw the notice to leave. Or exert other forms of pressure on us.
Our present government has neglected to include any reform of the European Arrest Warrant. On the contrary, Amber Rudd the current Home Secretary told Parliament that they want to keep it even AFTER Brexit. As things stand, EU judiciaries could, if they felt so inclined, have any of our politicians, journalists, or any other opponents, arrested and transported to jails in Europe… (think Erdogan, Putin – that sort of thing has not happened in Britain for centuries, but has happened in all of continental Europe within living memory.) No need to show any evidence for long months, so the accusations can be quite groundless.
Of course if we had a reliable government, it would be ready in this sort of case to repeal the ECA72 at once, and make a unilateral declaration of independence, disregarding article 50.
But do we have such a government? In June 2012, T. May, Home Secretary, said to Parliament that she would “of course” call on “special intervention units” from our EU “allies” to set foot on British soil “if needed”. She seemed not to realise that they would not leave if asked, owing allegiance only to Brussels, so in effect this would turn into a military occupation of Britain by foreign troops. That does not bode well for her firmness of resolve nor her clarity of vision.
- 2018 – 015 response to petition to keep UK military out of EU control 11 April, 2018
- 2018 – 014 Slavery in the USA 9 April, 2018
- 2018 – 013 19 March, 2018
- 2018 – 011 Fallen Soldier has his say 13 March, 2018
- 2018 – 012 Social Media bypasses Main Stream Media 13 March, 2018
- 2018 – 009 If Britain is to Brexit properly, it must get out of the EU’s Defence Union 4 March, 2018
- 2018 – 008 PLAN FOR A UNITED STATES OF EUROPE WHICH IS TO BE CONTROLLED BY A NEW WORLD ORDER. 22 February, 2018
- 2018 – 007 EU intends to control all artistic activities and copyright 3 February, 2018
- 2018 – 006 EU intends to control all journalists with an EU Press Card 2 February, 2018
- 2018 – 005 EU intend all copyright to become the property of the EU on expiry 2 February, 2018
- 2018 – 004 Freedom of the press and the Parole Board 28 January, 2018
- 2018 – 003 THE HISTORY of the EU 28 January, 2018
- 2018 – 002 More on Common Purpose 1 January, 2018
- 2018 – 001 How the Gov lied to the British people to join the EU 31 December, 2017
- 2017 -60 How schools have improved since 1950 14 December, 2017
- (no title) 14 December, 2017
- 2017 – 059 Operation Mockingbird 1 December, 2017
- 2017 – 058 THE HISTORY AND AIMS OF THE EU, UN and New World Order 12 November, 2017
- 2017 – 057 The National Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Vegetables 1 November, 2017
- 2017 – 055 The Spanish experience with the EU 29 October, 2017
- 2017 – 054 The very serious threat of the EU army having control in UK post Brexit 26 October, 2017
- 2017 – 053 Was Randolf Churchill hoodwinked by Bromley Council? 25 October, 2017
- 2017 – 052 EU press card to control all journalists 16 October, 2017
- 2017 – 051 Hammond blocking Brexit 15 October, 2017
- 2017 – 050 How the EU is leading the UK into a negotiating quick sand 13 October, 2017