Let’s hear it for that secular sacrament, the freedom of the press
The words above are not mine, but from the Rev Dr Peter Mullen, our Hon. Chaplain. He wrote them after the news broke last Wednesday that The Sun and the Daily Mail have jointly written to the Parole Board and the Justice Secretary to say that unless the reasons behind the decision to recommend the rapist, John Worboys’, release from prison are published within seven days, the papers’ lawyers will apply for a full judicial review to have that decision overturned.
The Justice Secretary has decided not to seek a judicial review. No-one in the criminal justice system appears to care that a dangerous rapist is about to be released from prison after serving just nine years behind bars, forcing Worboys’ victims to raise money for a judicial review through crowdfunding. Thank goodness we have a free press in this country. Thank goodness the two biggest selling newspapers put their rivalry to one side to fight for justice.
“…the sorts of people who operate the Parole Board – like the sorts of people who get appointed to the Supreme Court or those members of the House of Lords who, only a fortnight ago, voted further to restrict press freedom – are not as other men. They don’t think and act as we think and act. They are a privileged elite and they consider themselves to be in possession of finer moral sentiments than we ordinary mortals. Shockingly, you and I can do nothing to oblige these tribunes of the people who are really the enemies of the people to come to their senses and change their minds and their policies.”
I am sure Peter speaks for all of us.
Have a fantastic Sunday.
Head of Campaigns
- 2018 – 015 response to petition to keep UK military out of EU control 11 April, 2018
- 2018 – 014 Slavery in the USA 9 April, 2018
- 2018 – 013 19 March, 2018
- 2018 – 011 Fallen Soldier has his say 13 March, 2018
- 2018 – 012 Social Media bypasses Main Stream Media 13 March, 2018
- 2018 – 009 If Britain is to Brexit properly, it must get out of the EU’s Defence Union 4 March, 2018
- 2018 – 008 PLAN FOR A UNITED STATES OF EUROPE WHICH IS TO BE CONTROLLED BY A NEW WORLD ORDER. 22 February, 2018
- 2018 – 007 EU intends to control all artistic activities and copyright 3 February, 2018
- 2018 – 006 EU intends to control all journalists with an EU Press Card 2 February, 2018
- 2018 – 005 EU intend all copyright to become the property of the EU on expiry 2 February, 2018
- 2018 – 004 Freedom of the press and the Parole Board 28 January, 2018
- 2018 – 003 THE HISTORY of the EU 28 January, 2018
- 2018 – 002 More on Common Purpose 1 January, 2018
- 2018 – 001 How the Gov lied to the British people to join the EU 31 December, 2017
- 2017 -60 How schools have improved since 1950 14 December, 2017
- (no title) 14 December, 2017
- 2017 – 059 Operation Mockingbird 1 December, 2017
- 2017 – 058 THE HISTORY AND AIMS OF THE EU, UN and New World Order 12 November, 2017
- 2017 – 057 The National Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Vegetables 1 November, 2017
- 2017 – 055 The Spanish experience with the EU 29 October, 2017
- 2017 – 054 The very serious threat of the EU army having control in UK post Brexit 26 October, 2017
- 2017 – 053 Was Randolf Churchill hoodwinked by Bromley Council? 25 October, 2017
- 2017 – 052 EU press card to control all journalists 16 October, 2017
- 2017 – 051 Hammond blocking Brexit 15 October, 2017
- 2017 – 050 How the EU is leading the UK into a negotiating quick sand 13 October, 2017