Douglas Carswell exposes secret plan to tie Britain to the EU Post-Brexit
- Published Feb 10, 2017
- UKIP MP Douglas Carswell will today put down an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons in a bid to stop an international treaty that will leave the UK subject to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, even when we have left the EU.
- Douglas Carswell is objecting to what appears to be a stealth attempt by Ministers to sign up to the proposed Unitary Patent Court Agreement (UPCA) without anyone noticing, and without parliament having a vote on the matter.
- Once ratified, the UPCA will establish a Unified Patent Court (UPC), a court to adjudicate exclusively on European patents, meaning it will settle all disputes relating to intellectual property in Europe. Once established, it also means the standards for British products and inventions will be set in Europe, not the UK. Anyone wishing to challenge a UPC ruling will have to appeal to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
- UKIP in Parliament has discovered a video clip of a briefing by Kevin Mooney, the UK lawyer who has been working towards the creation of the UPC, in which he states he hopes the press â€˜does not find out aboutâ€™ the treaty.
- Ministers appear to share his distaste for public scrutiny of the move. The Government has tabled it as â€˜negative statutory instrument,â€™ meaning it will automatically go through parliament unless an MP formally objects, hence Douglas Carswellâ€™s intervention.
- Mr Carswell says â€œLeaving the EU should mean leaving the jurisdiction of the European courts, but if this proposal is allowed to pass, we would be required to accept the supremacy of EU law in its entirety with regard to any disputes within the jurisdiction of the UPC, including competition law, fundamental rights arising under the Charter, as well as any specific patent rules contained within EU Directives.
- â€œHow countries protect intellectual property is also often a key issue when negotiating trade deals, so allowing the EU to decide these matters for us will make it much harder for the UK to negotiate the free trade deals we need with big dynamic economies outside Europe.
- â€œNo wonder the Europhiles wanted to pass this into law under the radar, without proper debate. It has the potential to drive a huge stake into the heart of Brexit.”
- 2017 – 022 Global Warming is Fake Science 18 June, 2017
- 2017 – 021 Did Tory Remainers sabotage May’s election? 10 June, 2017
- 2017 – 020 Hidden costs of the EU 8 June, 2017
- 2017 – 019 The European Union’s Evil Pedigree – Berlin 1942 by Edward Spalton 14 May, 2017
- 2017 – 018 New book a must read Brave New Europe 11 May, 2017
- 2017 – 017 How Germany and France conspired against Britain when the EU started 5 May, 2017
- 2017 – 016 EU to confiscate all copyright and control all artistic activities. 2 May, 2017
- 2017 – 015 BRITISH POLITICS 2017. LIES, MORE LIES, DECEITS AND RIPOFFS. 30 April, 2017
- 2017 – 014 Bilderberg attendees 25 April, 2017
- 2017 – 013 All posts in the Europrobe 23 April, 2017